The holidays are the perfect time to help those less fortunate than ourselves. Giving back not only helps others, it makes you feel good! If you are inspired to make a difference in someone else’s life this holiday season, here are a few ideas:
1. Adopt a Family: Many charities, like the The Salvation Army have an Adopt-A-Family program during the holidays. When you sign up, you will be matched with a financially struggling family. You can shop for the family, and deliver their gifts on Christmas morning! How fun would it be to see their happy faces?
2. Donate a Tree to Our Troops: The Christmas Spirit Foundation will allow you to send a Christmas tree to our troops who cannot be home for Christmas. All you have to do is to go to a participating tree lot and purchase a tree. It will be sent via Federal Express overseas to our troops! For more information go to Trees for Troops!
3. Clean Your Clutter and Donate It! This is a win-win situation. Clean out your closet for the New Year. Remember it is safe to assume that if you have not worn an item in the past year, you likely are not going to wear it again. Donate your gently used items to the The Salvation Army. What no longer works for you can be a real treasure to someone in need.
4. Volunteer at a Soup Kitchen: There is nothing more rewarding than seeing the faces of the people you help and having an exchange with them. When you volunteer at a soup kitchen, you will have the opportunity to prepare a hot meal for the homeless, and get to serve it them! This will be the first meal many of these people have had in many days. Seeing their faces of gratitude is one of the most rewarding things ever. Go to DoSomething.org and find a soup kitchen near you.
5. Make Greeting Cards for Hospitalized Children: Get out your watercolors, glitter and stickers! Make some fun colorful cards with a heart felt message inside for children that have to spend their holidays in the hospital. Any hospital welcomes this during the holidays. Or contact Cards for Hospitalized Kids for guidance.